Wednesday, April 29, 2015

instagram takeover

Okay, so we all know what is going on with the Internet and why people aren't dropping by our blogs anymore, at least not to mine. With the ever-growing Instagram traffic, it looks like everyone prefers the instant messaging and posting found there. What are the pros and cons?


Now, if you don't know anything about Instagram (IG), it is basically an instant message app that posts a picture with very short text. You send out your message and anticipate how many "likes" and possible comments you will receive - sort of like on Facebook. I am not a big Facebooker, so this was definitely new and exciting for me when I joined in. And I know there are psychological reports about the "instant gratification" of receiving approval through Instagramming. It is true and can become addicting just like anything.

I joined up to Instagram during the Christmas holidays. I was amazed by the clarity of photographs being published. I have no "smart phone" and just use a "Handy" as they are called in Germany as an emergency type device. How were these photos being taken with just a camera phone?? I absolutely hadt to have a new IPhone to compete with others. I have now learned that some are really shot with a smart phone, but most are still taken with a SLR (single lens reflex) camera and uploaded to the Internet, downloaded to a smart phone or tablet, and uploaded again to Instagram. Since I learned how to download my own photos, I relaxed a bit about the new smart phone. I enjoy using my tablet pc to shoot pictures of my instant day-by-day fun with fabric.

What are some pros and cons of Instagram? Well, one pro is definitely the instant gratification, of course! The feeling that you have friends, colleagues, fans out there that support you! That is definitely a big plus! You can also upload photos of what you are working on right now, at this exact moment with very little preparation....meaning you don't have to upload a photo to your computer from your SLR and then to a blog or other account such as Facebook, Flickr, etc.; that can be time consuming! You can also quickly jump from post to post and see what everyone was up to today.

Now the flip side is this: everyone is changing over to Instagram and leaving their blogs cold and dry. No one is posting anymore! No one is dropping by anymore. Is the blogging world coming to an end?

A good compromise or use of Instagram is a short message about a blog post (address referred to on the Profile Page of IG). This makes sense. I think a lot of text should still be placed on a blog, an online diary or editorial. I personally do not like it when someone makes a "post" with long text through Instagram. I could also do without virtually meaningless pictures, you know the ones I mean...the ones of house pets fetching a bone or personal exercising routines. I think some people become obsessed with overgramming again trying to refill that instant gratification tank. I admit, I could go there if I am not careful. I have tried to put myself on a short rope and watch more critically what I am doing, how much time am I spending there in comparison to how much time I spending doing what I love the most, designing and sewing!!

So, making this post a little shorter to get back to my RL (real life), what are your experiences with Instagram? What do you like about it, what do you hate about it? Is blogging coming to an end? Will we all be hooked up to IM with an armband in the future? We would like to hear from you!

What did I learn this week? Going outside and playing with my family is much more rewarding that checking out what is going on on Instagram! Enjoy your week!

13 comments:

  1. Das gleiche ist mir auch schon aufgefallen. Es wird mehr und mehr auf Instagram und flickr gepostet als auf den blogs. So habe ich auch deinen Blog gefunden und Folge dir jetzt.
    Lg Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ich lese gerne Blogs und ganz besonders auch Deinen. Ich freue mich zwar über ein paar Zwischendurch-Bilder von Dir (so tolle Dinge, die Du da machst!) oder auch Anderen auf flickr oder Instagram, aber ich finde auch, dass die Bilderflut bei Vielen überhand nimmt. Da fehlt mir oft einfach die Zeit, um diesen ganzen Input zu filtern. Bei Blogs ist ja meist schon eine Vorauswahl getroffen. Ich gehe jetzt, ganz Deinem Rat folgend, lieber die Sonne genießen und mit meiner Kleinen in den Zoo ;-)
    LG, Carolin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ja, das ist so eine Sache mit all den Social Medias... Ich bin auch kein großer Facebook-Fan, aber IG finde ich sehr praktisch. Für mich ist es schön, weil ich auch von unterwegs mal sehen kann, was sich z.B. beim Swappen so tut... Sonst müsste ich immer den Rechner mitschleppen. Und mit dem habe ich ja nicht automatisch Internet - mit dem Smart Phone (das ich mir übrigens letztlich auch nur wegen IG zugelegt habe...) schon.
    Aber es stimmt schon, da gibt es oft eine unnötige Bilderflut (man muss sich da auch wirklich zusammenreißen) und es ist schade, dass die Geschichten und Gedanken, die man auf den Blogs so findet, dabei untergehen. Also lass' uns am Bloggen festhalten :-)
    LG, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just this past Saturday, a young friend introduced me to Instagram at my request. I'm not a fan and know I'm missing out on a lot, but I'll stick to blogging and just take what I can get. I don't have a smart phone (or a cell phone, period). I hope you don't replace blogging with Instagram. I'd miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love Instagram (mostly) but I don't think it can ever replace blogging. If anything it can and should complement blogging wonderfully if used well. Instagram is great for those work in progress shots and for the sneak peaks and I really love when these lead into a blog post about the finished project. I started using IG because I found I just didn't have the time to write and share wip posts so I try to use IG to share a little of what I am doing, while saving the time I have for creating and for mostly posting about finished works.
    In relation to blog reading I find that when I'm busy I regularly have days when I don't have time to get to Bloglovin and then when I do get back to it the backlog of unread blog posts can be overwhelming. At such times I try to priortise reading about finished works rather than the umteenth update on a particular work in progress, but they can be hard to find. Blog post titles can be vague, and the photos and text that appear don't always really represnt the post in question. In comparison I can do a quick scroll through Instagram, catch up on lots of work in progress posts and follow through to blog posts on finished posts when they are linked.
    Instagram can also be a great way to discover new blogs. I've actually started following some blogs that I discovered through Instagram. One click lets you instantly see an overview of someone's IG feed, and makes it so easy to find people whose work you really want to follow.
    Like you I get frustrated with the overgramming that occurs at times and I must admit I will be ignoring IG when Quilt Market time comes around. Yes, I do want to see what is going on but no I don't want to see the same photo posted endlessly, or the endless selfies with quilts that will undoubtedly ensue. I will wait instead for the blog posts where I can read all about it in a more meaningful way.
    Bit of an epic reply, but those are my thoughts. I do hope blogs survive because they have much more meaning the IG could ever have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you needed a smart phone to participate in Instagram. Thanks for setting me straight. Although, it seems to defeat the purpose if you take camera photos and upload and download and upload again just to get to the app. Nothing instant about that.
    I, too, am disappointed that many of the blogs I used to follow have dried up. I am not on any social media and will not be joining ever, so I am glad you will be continuing with your blog and letting us know what you are making here. I would miss you if you stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not tried Instagram and I probably never will. I have heard of many people who are basically addicted just like twitter people. I prefer to read blog where people talk about what they are doing and tips about quilting, that helps me learn more to improve my quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just don't seem to have much time for anything these days! I IG and blog, but not consistently or well with either! I still enjoy reading blogs, but I also love the quick look at what people are working on

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer blogs, to upload photos onto instragram you have to have a tablet or similar and I cannot understand my tablet but maybe will have another go. I have been missing from blogging that is why I have not commented on your blogs but back now so please continue to blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ich muss das mal ein bisschen strukturiert machen, sonst blickt das mein Hirn nicht mehr... ;-)
    Vorteile Insta: 1.) "Like" Button, wie oft möchte ich nur schnell sagen, schön, habe mir das angesehen, was du machst, ohne lang einen großen Kommentar zu schreiben. Kleine Kommentare sind ja so mmmhh. Bei Flickr ist das ja z.B. blöd, weil man bei einem Sternle gleich alles in seine Favs schiebt 2.) Schnell, weniger Aufwand, ich kann mit dem iPhone kommentieren unterwegs, was ich bei den Blogs (außer anonym) noch nicht hinbekommen hab 3.) Suche nach Tags z.B. Tulapink, das macht mir schon Spaß, weil ich da genau über mein Thema Infos bekomme, im gesamten Instabereich, das ist spitze
    Nachteile Insta: 1.) Viel mehr Bilder, die mich nicht interessieren 2.) Persönliches Problem, ich kann kein Photo von meinem iPhone hochladen, weil irgendetwas mit der Installation nicht passt (keine Ahnung warum) 3.) Die Tags sind gleichzeitig auch wieder nervig, wenn jemand meint, dass er gleich 15 Tags je Post machen muss. Nie weiß man, ist das jetzt noch Text oder Tag oder @, das macht das ganze auch unübersichtlich.
    Vorteile Blog: Bessere Bilder, besser aufbereitete Beiträge mit mehr Informationen, strukturierte und bessere/vorhandene Suche, Kategorien je Person und Blog (nicht über ganz Insta), bessere Übersicht,
    Nachteile Blog: Zeitaufwändiger zu lesen, meist weniger aktuell, weniger Zwischenschritte aufgrund des Aufwands
    ...was das Zeitliche angeht, naja, das gilt für alles. Schaue ich fern oder spiele ich mit der Familie. Schaue ich mir an, was andere nähen oder nähe ich selbst. Für mich ist das Besuchen von Blogs oder Insta auch ein Fernseh-Ersazt, entspannte Abendunterhaltung, die mir Anregungen für mein Nähhobby gibt. Ich kann das nicht immer alles schwarz-weiß sehen. Den Druck, den man sich beim Bloggen macht, in regelmäßigen Abständen zu posten, weil man sonst gefragt wird, ob man krank ist, den hat man wohl bei Insta nicht, das ist so unübersichtlich, das fällt niemandem auf ;-)
    LG, Eva

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ich lese gerne Blogs und ganz besonders Deinen. Schade, daß immer mehr und mehr das Instagram life bevorzugt wird. So... ich gehe jetzt noch eine runde joggen... Mach's gut meine Liebe und hab ein schönes weekend.
    Hugs, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen,
    Ich verwende IG meistens nur um Zwischenstände zu zeigen oder was ich gerade so mache, denn manchmal hat man einfach keine Zeit zum Bloggen oder man hat nichts Neues fertig zum Bloggen.
    Aber ich gebe dir Recht, dass es bei manchen wirklich überhand nimmt mit den Bildern. Ich versuch nicht mehr als ein Bild am Tag zu posten. Manchmal poste ich auch keines und dann dafür 2 in kurzen Abständen. Das Gefällt mir mag ich, da man schnell und einfach zeigen kann wenn einem was gefällt. Ich verwende meistens auch Fotos von meinem iphone, weil extra von der Kamera hochladen und dann aufs Handy laden ist mir meistens zu umständlich.
    Ich glaube nicht, dass Blogs aussterben (hoffe ich zumindest), weil man dabei einfach mehr Informationen geben kann und man auch viel davon lernen kann.
    Liebe Grüße
    Elke

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good post I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving comments! You really make my day! - Karen

Notice:
If you comment on my blog, your personal data such as IP-Address will be collected by Google. Find more information about this on my General Data Protection Page:

https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.htm or that from Google.
___________________________

Hinweis:
Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.